Vex Controller

Posted in R\C on April 30th, 2008 by Samurai

For the time being, after chatting with Dan… not the other one… the one in Germany, I have decided to go with the Vex controller for my R\C stuff. I picked up a controller off eBay for about $22 shipped. This 6 channel transmitter will be fine for the drive system. I plan to have a lot of moving items on my droid so another transmitter will be in order down the line.

One other option I have been thinking about doing is use an XBee attached to my transmitter. Since I will already have an Arduino in the droid I should be able to make a button panel to control doors and lights using the XBees as wireless link and leave the Vex transmitter for the drive system. It may end up being a $100 add on to expand my transmitter’s I\O with this method. I will have to see how this pans out.

Panel Doors Part 2

Posted in Skins on April 29th, 2008 by Samurai

I took the clamps off the panels and one of them didn’t weld together. I mixed up some more Jb Wled and resealed the panel.

I cut the center panel off the rear door and welded it together, just in case I do something with it in the future.

Coin Slots

Posted in Coin Slots, Frame on April 27th, 2008 by Samurai

First thing I had to do was check to see if the Coin slots fit the skins. A dry fit showed that they did not. I tested the openings to see which areas needed to be filed. After the openings were widened, I marked the location on the frame rings to be cut. A notch had to be made to allow the coin slot strip to sit in it’s proper place. After The marks were made, the dremel came out. A test fit and adjustment later, everything fit. I just have to mount the strip to the inner skins and they are done.

Panel Doors

Posted in Skins on April 27th, 2008 by Samurai

After the back door was cut I started removing panels. The first panels to be removed were the two large side doors in the back. I slipped my hacksaw into the slot and took out each tab holding the panel on. After the panel was detached I filed the tabs smooth. A quick clean up with acetone, the JB Weld was mixed up. The JB Weld was applied to the edge of the inner panel and then mated to the outer panel. Large black binder clips were used to hold the pieces together while the JB Weld hardened.

Large Data Port

Posted in LDP on April 26th, 2008 by Samurai

I have 2 sets of large data ports, LDP. The first set is in 4 pieces and the second one is a 1 piece. Neither of the LDPs fits the frame opening, so the frame is going to have to be cut to make them fit.

Rear Door

Posted in Rear Door, Skins on April 26th, 2008 by Samurai

i attached the inner rear skins to the frame and clamped the outer skins on. Using a pencil I marked the outline for the door. After the door was marked, I measured 1/8″ in and marked the cut line. Taking out the Dremel and a reinforced cutoff wheel, I slowly cut the inner skins. I just lined up the wheel on the line and let the wheel sink into the skins. I then moved the wheel up the line and repeated. This gave a pretty straight line. Every now and then I would stop and just make sure the line was not showing by lining up the outer skins. This was really just for my own sanity. A quick file down on the edges and the back door was cut off.

Center vents Part 2

Posted in Center Vents on April 23rd, 2008 by Samurai

Same procedure as with the upper center vent. This time after taping everything together I dry fit the vents into the surround. A lot of filing had to be done to get them to fit. After everything fit, I super glued the vents in place to tack them in and JB Wleded the seams.


Here are both center vents assembled.

Center Vents

Posted in Center Vents on April 22nd, 2008 by Samurai

I assembled the upper center vent. I filed down the tabs and made sure everything fit. I taped everything in place and super glued the back side to tack them in place. Once the super glue was set, i mixed up some JB Weld adn applied it to teh non-visible seams. Tapbe came off oncethe JB Weld was set.

Skin Mounting

Posted in Skins on April 19th, 2008 by Samurai

I clamped the inner skins to the frame and lined up the center mounting bracket. i had to grind some of the bracket down to get it to fit. After everything was in place I marked the positions and took the skins off. Next I drilled holes in the frame and then clamped the brackets to the frame and drill them using the holes in the frame as a guide. I then screwed the center brackets into the frame.

I hooked up the skin brackets and and marked the hole placements on the skins. I took the brackets off the frame and drilled the skins. Then just as with center brackets I used the holes in the skins as guide to drill out the brackets. slowly I countersunk the holes on the skins, testing the screws for flushness (wow spellchecker thinks that is a word!). A quick bolt up of everything and the the skins snap right on the frame.

The Build Begins – Again

Posted in Intro on April 17th, 2008 by Samurai

After years, and I do mean years of collecting parts, the build begins… again.

I have had blogs and web pages about the build before, but it is time for a fresh start. The older pictures of the parts and assembly are somewhere in a box, perhaps in storage. When I find them they will be added.