R2 is almost talking

Posted in Arduino, Sound on May 14th, 2009 by Samurai

I just finished the setup of the sound system. The system consists of a VMusic2, Arduino, and speakers. I formatted a USB drive and updated the firmware on the VMusic2. I then created sound files for each sound and put them on the USB drive and created a little sketch to play all the sounds on the drive. I jsut have to write a little more logic to control the sounds through my Wii nunchucks and then install all the wiring in the droid

PSI setup

Posted in Arduino, PSI on March 3rd, 2009 by Samurai

I have been toying with some materials to use for my PSI lenses. The main concern has been that they need to hold up against poking fingers. The next thing is the space needed to diffuse the hotspots, and since I am using a multicolored LED to create any color I want it also needs to help mix the colors. After many trials and errors I think I may have found a cheap solution.

If you have or know someone who has cats, the litter can come in huge white plastic buckets. These buckets need to be able to hold 20lb-40lb, so the plastic is nice and string. I cut one of the buckets up and did a few tests and they work great with one layer of material and even better with 2 sandwiched together. The setup consists of 1 or 2 layers of litter bin material and a LED source. The barrel to contain the light source is the smaller cup of a bar tenders jigger with the bottom cut out of it. Since the jigger is metal, it reflects the light just fine.


PSI Test

Posted in Arduino, BlinkM, PSI on July 30th, 2008 by Samurai

Ok so now a test with the PSIs. This is a lit room, and the camera exposure adjustment is going a little crazy causing some weird color transitions that aren’t there in person.

Update:
The color transitions are are fade the color switches immediately using a different command.

The tube is a resin on from Keith. The the filters are pieces of milks jugs. There are 2 inside the tube and the one that is being held is the rough part, usually at the handle. The color test is the same test routine as was done with the holoprojectors. The tube is open at the back and the inside should be lined with aluminum tape to improve the lighting effect. There is a little bit of a hot spot, not as much as it appears in the video, but if the LED is moved further away it goes away without any decrease in the lighting

Holoprojector Illumination

Posted in Arduino, BlinkM, Holoprojectors on July 26th, 2008 by Samurai

Well I now have a new toy to play with. I have just been testing it now as it just came in last night. These look like they are going to work out very well. A quick teaser until I can get some photos and have the time to write something up on it. I also wanted to test out how the our HD camera’s video shows up on the blog.

BTW, the video was taken in a lit room with all the windows open. This setup is only the default color switching. The real setup will be a blue flickering. The flickering can be sequenced to sound or programed into the LED. The programed version makes only power vires to be run up to the LED to trigger the color changing.