Lots going on, no pictures…

Posted in Ankles, Frame, Misc, Rear Door, Skins on July 15th, 2009 by Samurai

R2 was taken completely apart and pieces were ground down and adjusted to make way for electronics. The feet now have the NPC motors mounted and new wires pulled up the through the new holes in the feet and legs. The wires currently are just pulled into the body. The new electronics panel was cut out of 1/4″ Lexan and mounting brackets were made to fit it to the frame. Some of the vertical rods on the frame were moved back to allow room for the hinges for the doors on the skins. All this done in a weekend. I now jsut have to positions the motor controllers and fuse blocks wire them up and R2 should be moving. Then I need to finish cutting the inner dome for the hinges and the dome can go back together.

Status Update

Posted in Ankles, Dome, Feet, Holoprojectors, Legs, Paint on September 3rd, 2008 by Samurai

Well DragonCon is over. I only spent a day there, but I did get some R2 building done. I made a major push to get some things complete. Over the weekend I shaved the center ankle mounting block down adn now the center foot is mounted. I finished painting all the feet, ankles, and legs. This includes all the blue parts too. The Radar Eye is also painted blue too. I then moved to the dome where I cut the large hole for the 1 piece Front Logic Port (FLP). I then drilled and counter sunk screws for the FLP, Rear Logic Port, and all Holoprojectors. He is now looking more like a complete R2 droid.

Photos coming soon….

Leg to Ankle Upgrade

Posted in Ankles, Legs on August 28th, 2008 by Samurai

Well the leg to ankle upgrade is complete, well sort of. I plan on adding a 1/8″ plate that will run all the way down the ankle to the axle, but for now there are just some nuts JB Welded to the ankle. i used Grade 8 bolts to ensure that they would not shear and drilled out the ankles and legs to fit the new bolts.

I JB Welded nuts to the plate inside the ankle to give the bolts something to screw into. As mention before, one set of nuts is there until I create the 1/8″ plate. Right now they only keep the leg in place.

I got some 1/4″ aluminum plates and drilled them so they will fit between the leg and ankle and keep the correct spacing on the bracelet.

All Assembled

Weendend Update 1

Posted in Ankles, Frame, Rockler Bearing on August 9th, 2008 by Samurai

I mounted the rockler bearing on the top ring. I had mounting holes on the top ring, but they got in the way of the shoulder hubs and the large data port. I had to drill out the other holes on the outer bearing and drill new holes in the top ring. I then tapped the ring and reassembled. This should be the last time the frame needs to be taken apart for some time.

I also filed down the last ankle wedge. These things just didn’t line up at all. I don’t really think the wedges are the problem. I think there were some issues in the production of the ankles where some durfaces are not completely flat and the angles are off.

I have a few thing on my list to try and get done this weekend. Ipdates and pictures coming…

Ankle Details

Posted in Ankles, Legs on July 23rd, 2008 by Samurai

Nothing special today. During lunch I went to check out an Ace near my work. It turns out the Ace is fully stocked in screws and hardware. I picked up a bunch of new screws and lock washers to mount he ankle details. These replaced the hex socket cap screws that came with the hardware.

I plan on going back tomorrow to get some more screws and other hardware for some ideas I have to mount the other details on the legs.